Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Update

Once again I begin with an apology for my lethargic updating trend. Sorry. Well since my last post a fair amount has happened. I have been travelling, promoted and much much more.


So I have been in talks for my first European car. These talks resulted in my purchasing of a small Renault clio 1 1994 M reg. This I drove Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning before leaving for San Francisco. On my return I had to replace the fan belt and then on driving it back home - smash some guy drove in a white Renault van drove in to the back of me at a zebra crossing. Brilliant!!

So it seems at the moment that after taking my first steps into the commute on your own steam steps that I have been knocked right back down to the train club... What can you do - at least it was not my accident.

San Francisco was an eye-opener, I have now seen Dallas, NYC and San Fran. All three cities complete different from one another. San Francisco is an awesome place. It still retains a lot of its hippie crest and at the same time has moved successfully into the modern world. Berkley finally showed me what I had always hoped a university environment would be. There was a vibe of serious contemplation and discussion on all topics. I was taken to a place called the cheese board one evening for pizza and jazz. The jazz courtesy of a trio of high school kids. Sitting in the collective I got a taste of the beat poet vibe and a look at the university freak show - where the unwashed and washed, suited and casual, young and old gather together to enjoy the designer pizza and music and just sit around burning time with informed debate on whatever topic has caught their or their professor's fancy at the moment. Yes I did use the word informed in reference to American people... This is what made San Fran great.

On my return I was greated by the car fiasco, which although unpleasant is not the end of the world. I should come out ahead of the game at least. I got in touch with the other guys insurance and claimed the right to courtesy car and on Friday headed down to Wales for a weekend of camping, fishing and moutain biking. I hope to have footage of the later for you all soon. As for the fishing - well - I was bested by the damned fish. The next paragraph is for Nick and anyone else who feins intrest in the intracasies of fly fishing.

The buggers were taking on suspended midges and dry flies, rabs and with little red suspended midges on the dropper. The issues was they would not take on tyippet higher than 1.5 kg and these were some monster fish, the water was so clear you could see them missioning around in the water. So initially fishing with my orvis 8 weight seemed like the plan. Quickly I chaged down to the 2-3 weight as I was being snapped off everytime I lifted the rod to strike. Even with the 2-3 I was being snapped off the moment there was any tention on the line. I managed to fight a couple of the buggers for an extended period of time but as the fishing was barbless and I could find no way of getting any tension on I remained fishless.

Enough of that. I am back at work now 4 days until the weekend. Then a three day week before I am off to Glastonbury. On my return it seems that I might head off to gay Paris to see the boss and then off to the Dam for a weekend.

This year is rounding the last corner into the home straight toward Christmas and New Years. Hope you are all keeping your heads and that it is all going well. Looking forward to seeing you all when I see you.

Keep it real

1 comment:

Nick said...

Hey Buub!

Great post, made for a good read...

So you bought a Clio. What a poof! Did you and Ross confer as to what would be the queerest car on the market, or did you guys just buy them for the fuel consumption? Don't answer that!

As for the fishing, well I'm sorry you didn't land any of the bruisers, but that will teach you for hauling out the 8-weight! Bloody heavy-handed philistine! :) There has been little in the way of fishing down this side of the world, unless you count the odd trip to a gravel-pit fish farm, just to wet a proverbial line. Dammit, I think the withdrawl symptoms are easier to bear than the sense of unease and displeasure at fishing in a muddy pond. I could be wrong...

So you've seen San Fran. My jealousy knows no bounds. I hate you, and you know that! :) Glad you enjoyed it though and I hope you managed to get "intellectual" with some Phys. Ed. Majors! Not? Maybe next time.

Until then, keep it real. And don't ask about an overseas adventure; it hurts too much, and I'm saving for too many things. My hand is forced.

Later, dater!

N.